And then he looked right through me as if I wasn’t there. And he just kept on singing, singing strong and clear. Killing me softly with his song. Killing me softly with his song. -Roberta Flack
The Jazz were down 87-86 to the Chicago Bulls down the stretch. The Jazz got the ball and Deron Williams headed upcourt on the fast break. He…Could…Go…All…The…Way! He could, but he doesn’t. Instead, Derrick Rose caught up from behind and knocked the ball away to give the Bulls the ball back with about a minute left. Next thing you know, Rose is blowing past Williams staright to the hizzy. Next thing thing you know, Williams throws the ball away. Next thing you know, the Bulls win! The Bulls win! The Bulls win! Next thing you know, Jerry Sloan stepped down after 23 seasons and 1,127 wins at the helm of the Utah Jazz, saying he simply ran out of energy to coach anymore. Rumor has it, he simply ran out of energy to caoch Deron Williams anymore. Rumor has it, Deron Williams refused to run plays Jerry Sloan called. Rumor has it, Deron Williams led a mutiny against Jerry Sloan. Apparently, he didn’t appreciate Sloan’s Captain Queeglike ways. Queeg: “Mr. Maryk, you may tell the crew for me that there are four ways of doing things aboard my ship: The right way, the wrong way, the Navy way, and my way. They do things my way, and we’ll get along.” Williams didn’t want to do things Sloan’s way. They didn’t get along. Now, Jerry Sloan haws gone the way of Captain Queeg, transferred to an obscure naval supply depot in Iowa. But Williams isn’t the first coach killer the NBA has seen. Wanna read about some more? Sure you do. Follow me after the jump. Read More »
Nothin’ from nothin’ leaves nothin’. You gotta have somethin’ if you wanna be with me. -Billy Preston
Just a quick stat for all ya’ll. Just like that for all ya’all. Rat-a-tat-tat for all ya’all. There was time we all thought Jason Kidd could become the all time triple double king. If you wanna know the real deal about the three, well let me tell you, we’re triple trouble ya’ll. We’re gonna bring you up to speed. I’ll bring you up to speed. I’ll bring you up to speed real good like. Last night, Jason Kidd did not have a triple double. Although he did grab Ten rebounds, Kidd scored no points. That’s right. Zero. Zilch. Nada. S-dot-Carter, y’all must try harder. Competition is nada. Actually, the competition is Big Ben Wallace. Big Ben has grabbed at least 10 rebounds without scoring in 20 games in his NBA career, but Kidd was the first guard to do so since Mark Jackson had a 12-rebound, no-point performance for the Knicks in December 2001. How about that? Now don’t say I never gave you nothin’.
Peace out homies. Six two and even!
I get knocked down, but I get up again. You’re never going to keep me down! -Chumbawumba
Public Service Announcement: No, we’re not talking about tee-shirts. We’re not like Mr. Hooper. We’re not talking about treasure boating or day sailing. No we’re talking about the real wife beaters. Today we bid adieu to a real wife beater. Today we bid adieu to Bobby Cox. I’ve heard people say, “Bobby Cox did it the right way.” If by the right way you mean getting arrested by police at his home, jailed overnight and being charged with simple battery after punching his wife and pulling her hair, then ya, sure. Pulling her hair? C’mon you sissy, knock it off. After the jump, we’ll look at other members of the All Wife Beating team. Read More »
So tell the whole wide world, if you don’t like the thought of it, bail me out, thank you kindly, pass me by. -Frank Sinatra
Ok, here we go! Don’t get me wrong, I like Jason Kidd as much as the next guy. Before everybody was comparing Bron Bron to the Big O, they were comparing Kidd to the Big O. He is the only man besides Oscar Robertson to average a triple-double for an entire postseason. Yowza! That’s pretty good, but just don’t go comparing him to John Stockton. Last night, Jason Kidd had twenty big assists against the defenseless Suns. Last night, Jason Kidd passed Magic Johnson for third place among the NBA’s all-time assist leaders. Kidd now trails only John Stockton and Mark Jackson. Good for him. Good for Jason Kidd. Read More »
Love me two times, baby. Love me twice today. Love me two times, girl. I’m goin’ away. -The Doors
Public Service Announcement: Ok, here we go! We all know Jason Kidd is the triple double king. We all know he is the only player besides Oscar Robertson to average a triple-double for an entire postseason. We all know he ranks ranks third in regular season triple-doubles. We know these things. But did you know this? Did you know, last night, Jason Kidd had ten assists, ten rebounds and only seven points in Dallas’ win at Portland? Ok, maybe you did. Good for you. Check out the big brain on Brett! But there’s more to that story that I bet you didn’t know. Read More »
Well she’s my best friend’s girlfriend. She’s my best friend’s girlfriend. But she used to be mine. -The Cars
Public Service Announcement: Ok, here we go! Like Savoir Faire, he’s everywhere. Sean Avery is on Deadspin. He’s on the Big Lead. He’s on With Leather. As hard as you try, you just can’t shake him. But all this sloppy seconds talk got me to thinking, yes I do think sometimes, got me to thinking, what are some other sloppy seconds stories? There’s gotta be some, right? Right? You betcha there are and I’m just the guy to give ‘em to ya. Read More »
All I know is what I read in the papers. -Will Rogers Read More »
Three is a magic number. Yes it is, it’s a magic number. Somewhere in the ancient, mystic trinity. You get three as a magic number. -Schoolhouse Rock
Public Service Announcement: Ok here we go! Not since Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson have we seen such a triple threat. A Kidd amongst men. If you wanna know the real deal about the three. Well let me tell you, we’re triple trouble ya’ll. We’re gonna bring you up to speed.
I’m gonna bring you up to speed. Bring you up to speed with Jason Kidd. Last night, in a loss, Kidd notched his 91st career triple double. 91! That’s more than Larry Legend. More than the Stilt. More than a whole lot of folks. Third all time. Third all time behind the Big-O and Magic. Even more amazing considering Kidd played the first sixty-eight games of his career without ever securing a triple-double. Then went on to tally four out of his next ten. Then went on to tally at least one triple double in each and every of the fourteen seasons he has been in this league. Yowza! That would be a record my friends.
He may not average a triple double for his career like Oscar. He may not catch Earvin. (He needs 39 more.) But they never done did that. And he ain’t slowing down. He’s still mowing ‘em down. Still throwing ‘em down. The past three seasons have been three of his five biggest triple-double campaigns. He set his own personal record with twelve just last year. He has four already this year tying him for the lead with one King James. Just the other night he grabbed nineteen boards. How about that? Talk about a West Coast bias.
While everyone’s blabbering about Steve Nash. While everyone’s jabbering about Steve Nash. While everyone’s doing that, here is Kidd. Kid gracious kid. Your eyes are blue but you won’t cry I know. Angry tears are too dear. You wont let them go. You didn’t let them go back in ’02. Back in ’02 when you was robbed. I got robbed by a sweet old lady on a motorized cart. I didn’t even see it coming. No one saw it coming.
Robbed by the Big Fundamental. Robbed out of an MVP. Back in ’02 when you were traded to the Nets. Traded for Starbury. Traded to the perennial league doormats. Then single-handedly transformed them into championship contenders in the space of one single training camp. Put them into the NBA Finals two years in a row. Put them on the map. And there they’ve stayed. Thanks to Jason Kidd. Thanks to Jason Kidd the new triple double king.
Public Acknowledgements: NBA, Beastie Boys, Pretenders and Dumb & Dumber
Peace out homies. Six two and even!
If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. The free mind is not a barking dog, to be tethered on a ten-foot chain. -Adlai Stevenson
1. Sidney Crosby. Sid the Kid. The Next One. Wins the NHL MVP. A travesty. It’s a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham. Martin Brodeur should have won that award. Hands down. Read More »
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. – George Bernard Shaw
1. Pass the fries please. Jason Kidd on the trading block. He sure would look good in green. Leads the league in triple-doubles. By a lot. His 9.4 assists per game are the most he’s had since his first season with the Nets.
2. Mets in big big trouble. Glavine, El Duque, John Maine, Oliver Perez and Mike Pelfrey? That’s who you’re going to war with? That’s your five? Good luck.
3. South Bronx, the south south Bronx. Yankee Stadium to get 2008 All-Star Game. All I remember of the last one played there back in 1977 was Joe Morgan’s lead-off bomb. His lead-off bomb off of the Underoo Kid, Jim Palmer. Say what you want about Joe Morgan the announcer. Joe Morgan the baseball player sure could play baseball.
4. Just what baseball needs. Bud Selig must be turning over in his grave. Sammy Sosa to sign with the Texas Rangers. What are you folks thinking? You’re not. Well, yes you are. You’re thinking just win baby! Isn’t that what got baseball in trouble in the first place. Everybody knowing. Everybody not doing a damn thing about it. Putting fannies in the seats by putting needles in the fannies.
5. Justin Morneau wants five mil. Joe Mauer wants 4.5 mil. Johan Santana makes 12 mil on the last year of his contract. Can the Twins afford all this? Nope. You thought Cashman was trying to get the Yankees young? You thought Cashman was trying to save George some money? You thought I said are you all right Spider? Think again. Think Santana in Yankee pinstripes. Gross thought isn’t it?
6. Doug Davis is asking for 7.5 mil? Really? Doug Davis?
7. Just so you know: Vinatieri’s worst game this season? Against the Patriots. Just so you know something else: The Patriots set a new franchise record this year for fewest points allowed. You can’t score, you can’t win. Simple, right?
8. Say all you want about this rejuvenated Colts defense. I’m not biting. They just shut down two horrible offenses that have no problems shutting themselves down. Remember. They let Ron Dayne rumble for 153. They let the Jaguars bumble for 375. They let the Titans stumble for 219.
9. Geez. Where have I been? I just saw that Andre Waters killed himself around Thanksgiving. I had no idea. Shot himself. What a shame. That summamabitch could hit.
10. Bonds says Pete Rose and Mark McGwire belong in the Hall of Fame. I dunno. I’m not sure I’m looking to get Barry’s endorsement if I’m one of those guys.
11. Go Grizz. Memphis took a 70-49 halftime lead and cruised to a 118-102 victory over Philly. On Monday, the Grizzlies scored 72 points in the first half in a loss to Phoenix. Over the last 13 seasons, there has been only one other instance in which an NBA team scored 70 or more points in the first half in each of back-to-back games and it was also the Grizzlies who did it that other time.
Peace out homies. Six Two and Even!