Down in the part of town where when you hit a red light, you don’t stop. Johnny’s wavin’ his gun around, and threatenin’ to blow his top. -Bruce Springsteen
Public Service Announcement: OK, here we go! A sad one today. A bad one today. A makes you mad one today. By now you all know about Delonte West. You all know Delonte was was traveling on the Beltway in his Can-Am Spyder when he cut off a police officer. He cut off a police officer while carrying three loaded handgus. He was carrying a Beretta 9mm in his waistband, a Ruger .357 magnum strapped to his leg and a shotgun in a guitar case slung over his back. Loaded for bear. El Mariachi style. What the hell is going on? Same old story. Same old song and dance, my friend. Like my main man, Mister Senor Love Daddy always says: “Whoa. Y’all take a chill. You got to cool that shit off. And that’s the double-truth, Ruth.”
When will these guys ever learn? I will never understand it.
- Last year we had Plaxico Burress.
- Pacman Jones was involved in a fist fight and a shooting in a Las Vegas strip club that left one man paralyzed.
- Before that, police, backed by several armored vehicles, lawmen converged on Tank Johnson’s home, battered down the door and rushed inside to confiscate six guns, two of which, were military-style assault weapons.
- Before that Sebastian Telfair had a $50,000 chain ripped off of his neck outside of a restaurant. Next thing you know Fabolous was taking a bullet in the thigh down in the parking garage.
- Before that a loaded handgun was found in Sebastian Telfair’s pillowcase on the Blazers’ private jet at Boston’s Logan International Airport.
- Before that Chris Henry got caught with a handgun while out clubbing in Orlando.
- Before that, it was Stephen Jackson firing five shots in the air during an early-morning fight outside an Indianapolis strip club.
- Before that, officers discovered a hatchet, a loaded AK-47, a Hi-Point Pistol and two other loaded handguns in Maurice Clarett’s vehicle along with an open bottle of Grey Goose vodka.
- Before that, Muhsin Muhammad was carrying two concealed weapons and drugs.
- Before that, Jayson Williams accidentally shot and killed his driver.
- Before that, Brian Blades accidentally shot and killed his cousin.
- Before that, seven time loser Steve Howe was arrested at Kennedy Airport in New York for carrying a loaded .357 Magnum pistol in his luggage.
I’m sure I left out a slew of before thats, but you get the point. I know this subject has been covered to death, please don’t excuse the pun, but Karl Malone had it right, “Cool will get you dead.” Malone: “Now why do these guys carry guns? Is that the ‘cool’ thing to do? Well ‘cool’ gets you dead!”
Athletes like Allen Iverson, Charles Barkley and Scottie Pippen have all been arrested for illegal gun possession. NBA stars like Shaq Daddy, Paul Pierce and Vince Carter are licensed to carry a concealed weapon. So are grid-iron greats Edgerrin James, Marvin Harrison and Daunte Culpepper. So is Twins pitcher Carl Pavano. For what?
If you need a gun to go to the places you are going, maybe you shouldn’t go. Maybe you should listen to Karl Malone. Maybe you should listen to Johnny Cash: ”Don’t take your guns to town son, leave your guns at home, boy, don’t take your guns to town.” Cause cool will get you dead.
Peace out homies. Six two and Even!